Ho Sheung Heung is a long established village. Being very close to the ‘closed border area’ (this is a restricted rural buffer zone between the New Territories and border with China). It was founded as far back as the 11th century, and is still inhabited, by the Hau Clan – one of the five original clans (the others being the Tang, Pang, Man and Liu clans). Its historical past is embodied in the ancient ancestral hall (The Hau Ku Shek Ancestral Hall) that takes centre stage at the western end of the village square. The hall is a Punti hall believed to have been built in 1762 to commemorate a 17th generation ancestor, the eponymous Hau Ku Shek.