Macquaire Lighthouse is Australia's first and longest operating navigational light. It was originally built in 1818, designed by convict architect, Francis Greenway. Macquarie Lighthouse has an important place in the history of Sydney’s settlement and still provides a guiding light for ships entering the harbour. It is located on Dunbar Head, Vaucluse near the entrance to Sydney Harbour. There has been a navigational aid in this vicinty since 1791 and a lighthouse near the present site since 1818. The current lighthouse was completed in 1883.