The 1937-built King Yin Lei is a rare surviving example of Chinese Renaissance style that reflected the design and construction excellence in both Chinese and Western architecture of Hong Kong. The "East-meets-West" construction methods have made the building a rarity in Hong Kong and an outstanding piece of art. The residence at the site was built in 1937 by Mrs. Shum Li Po-lun, the granddaughter of the renowned Chinese merchant and social leader Mr. Li Sing in the 19th century. The building is important in signifying the historical development of Hong Kong. As one of the luxurious historic houses located along the hillside of Hong Kong Island, the building reflects the rising status and growing wealth of the Chinese community in Hong Kong. The site comprises a three-storey "red bricks and green tiles" building, a private garden festooned with penjing plants, various pavilions and terraces. It has been a scenic spot for mainland and overseas tourists. The building was sold to its current owner in August 2007 and it is now maintained by the government. It was declared a monument on 11 July 2008.