Lindos is 50km south of the town of Rhodes and is a beautiful, small, white village with many gnarled olive trees. The settlement keeps the colours and atmosphere of another era. Romance is everywhere in the village and enchants all visitors. The architectonic structure of Lindos, with traditional houses has absolute symmetry in the masonry materials. Lindos also possesses the only two twin natural harbors on the island and this made it Rhodes' most important trading center for the millennia. During the Turkish occupation, the merchants of Lindos handled most of the islands trade and to this day are still known for their sound business sense. St Paul in 58 AD landed at Lindos in the bay now named after him and converted its residents to Christianity. The cliff top Acropolis was first occupied about 1510 BC and was later fortified by the Knights of St. John. Today Lindos enjoys a status as an archeologically protected site where a permit must be obtained by residents before changing the color of a door. It is a complete vehicle-free zone. Lindos has been considered one of the more magical places in Greece for decades and attracted successful musicians, artists and rich businessmen including Saudi princes into purchasing some of the authentic captains houses as getaways. Little is left of traditional village life as the local economy centers around the throngs of visiting tourists which reaches its peak each July and August.