Acropolis of Lindos is the original site of the 4th BC temple dedicated to the goddess Athena. The Acropolis is one of the most historic sites in Greece. The ancient Acropolis of Lindos is on the brink of a precipice 400 feet above the Aegean Sea. The Acropolis of Lindos is a natural citadel which was fortified successively by the Greeks, the Romans, the Byzantines, the Knights of St John and the Ottomans. In classical times the Acropolis of Lindos was dominated by the massive temple of Athena Lindia, which attained its final form in around 300 BC. In Hellenistic and Roman times the temple precinct grew as more buildings were added. In early medieval times these buildings fell into disuse, and in the 14th century they were partly overlaid by a massive fortress built on the acropolis by the Knights of St John to defend the island against the Ottomans. On the Acropolis of Lindos, some buildings may still be seen, like The Doric Temple of Athena Lindia, dating from about 300 BC, built on the site of an earlier temple. Also seen is The Propylaea of the Sanctuary, The Hellenistic stoa and staircase, remains of a Roman temple, etc. The Acropolis is surrounded by a Hellenistic wall contemporary with the Propylaea and the stairway leading to the entrance to the site. Other notable structures are The Castle of the Knights of St John and The Greek Orthodox Church of St John. The excavations in the archaeological site of Lindos started in the early 20th century. The Italians, who occupied Rhodes island from 1912-1945, tried to restore the ancient findings but they actually damaged part of them. The site today belongs to the Greek Ministry of Culture and much work is being done, by both Greek and foreign archaeologists, to protect this monument. The Acropolis offers spectacular views of the surrounding harbours, coastline and the tiny white-washed village of Lindos below.